Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Few Easter Concerns

A few thoughts have been going over and over in my mind in the last week or so.

What are we teaching the lost as well as the saved with how we celebrate Easter Sunday?
Even with that last sentence why is it only a special day?
Sure the catholic and protestant traditions have Holy Week, but what would happen if every Sunday were celebrated like Easter Sunday?
Why do we only put the resurrection on the forefront of our worship only once a year?
Why do our choirs prepare for one Sunday more than any other (besides maybe Christmas)?
Why do I feel like a bad parent when I don’t want to have an Easter basket waiting for my kids on Easter morning?
Is it any wonder why Christianity is not taken seriously?
Why will I have to explain this to my children?

Easter: originally a Saxon word (Eostre), denoting a goddess of the Saxons, in honour of whom sacrifices were offered about the time of the Passover. Hence the name came to be given to the festival of the Resurrection of Christ, which occured at the time of the Passover.[1]
Easton, M. (1996, c1897). Easton's Bible dictionary. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

I am not mad about Easter; our church is phenomenal week in and week out keeping Jesus as the center of everything. I am just a little leery of what the future holds for American Christians if we as the Body of Christ don’t take Jesus seriously.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?”
John 11: 25-26 NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment